Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, June 06, 2012

Firefox13 arrives - to challenge Chrome

Taken from:
http://blogs.cio.com/browsers/17135/firefox-13-arrives-snazzy-features-rival-chrome

The author notes:

"There are three things in this release you ought to know about:
  • The new start page, which has a bunch of useful gadgets on it.
  • The "load tabs on demand feature" that will save you from a crash if you’re one of those folks that leaves scads of tabs open.
  • The new tabs page, which looks a lot like the one in Chrome, but is still a worthwhile change.
In addition, I’ve noticed that Firefox, which had been notoriously crash prone in the past, has been getting more stable. For instance, it used to be that when I closed Firefox for some reason while Mozilla’s Thunderbird email client was running, Firefox wouldn't open again unless I went into the Windows control panel and stopped the process manually, or rebooted the whole machine. Thankfully, that’s no longer the case."


While that seems significant - I'm not sure I"m going to try it.  I have Firefox on my computer - and open it (maybe) once every other month.  I use Chrome most of the time and resort to Internet Explorer (especially as I can't get the right look of "Words with Friends" from Facebook in Chrome - and I don't want to disappoint my sister by not making my plays!!!)

Chrome loads fast, has a spell checker (which helps as I write these blogs postings), and is part of the Google Empire - and it seems like that is where I am at more and more.  I used Google Sites for student webpages, I use Google Docs and Google Music - and (of course) Google Blogger.  So ... Firefox has a new release - woo - but not all that exciting to me!!!

No comments: