Powered By Blogger

Thursday, March 01, 2012

Google to dig deeper into our lives!!

Taken from:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/46580123/ns/technology_and_science-security/ 

As we well know, Google has a great search engine - and many other products - and all (I think) are free.

So ... how do they make money and how do they pay their employees?  By knowing a lot about people (like me) and selling that information (or selling specific ad areas).  This article indicates that they are 'simplifying' their privacy notes - which means that they really will have more information about me.  When I search (with Google) they know about all my old searches; they know that I have a blog (this one); they know my age, address and more; they can select ads based on my age, income, family status and more to show on the search results page.

I do not get ads for dog food (or cat food - or for pets) - and I have never done a search for such information.  I wonder if for two day, I search for the best dog and cat food, how to train and teach dogs to do tricks and how to groom cats might cause Google to start putting related ads on my searches.

It is not quite a two-way street though.  I have added Ad Sense to this blog - and when I checked last, I had made 25 cents!!!  (Now ... how do I require all my students to click on the ads for me? )

No comments: