Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Windows 8

From: http://technolog.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2011/09/13/7745761-hands-on-preview-of-new-windows-8-features

Microsoft (and Apple and HP and Intel and Dell and all others) needs to have new products to sell. If an ultimate computing experience has been created on my current laptop - then why should I spend money to get the newest and latest devices? I can read email, surf the web, use Word, Excel, etc.

BUT ... with Moore's Law and faster computers, all the computer companies are counting (hoping / relying) on us needed to buy new devices.

Here we have a new operating system - Windows 8 - do I need it? Yes, it has great features, yes, it is a step up from Windows 7, yes, it combines touchscreen (oh!!! neat) and other functions. So, the consumer is put between the rock and a hard place - get the newest and latest - or stay with the known (and cheapest).

Fortunately, I'm an employee at an academic institution who is part of a Microsoft package buying license, so I can probably get the update fairly cheaply. So, yes, I'll probably look at Windows 8, but maybe not until next summer (when I'll have time to play with it)

No comments: