Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, May 29, 2013

A reminder

Taken from: 
http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/05/28/18563942-harvard-dean-who-authorized-email-searches-resigns?lite

The article starts with this background:
The embattled dean of Harvard College, Evelynn Hammonds, announced on Tuesday that she will step down this summer, following months of controversy over her decision to authorize secret searches of faculty email.
Hammonds, who will remain a professor at the prestigious university, had given conflicting accounts about her decision to scan the subject lines of email accounts belonging to 16 deans, in search of correspondence relating to a major cheating scandal among Harvard students. She apologized to the faculty last month.
The e-mail search was apparently aimed at tracking correspondence between faculty and reporters for the school newspaper, the Harvard Crimson, who were investigating allegations that dozens of students cheated on a take-home final exam in a government class last spring. 
But ... in court-case after court-case, businesses have the right to search, archive, etc. email.  Not that I have anything of a negative nature in my email, but if Quinnipiac University wants to search my email - go ahead!!!

But ...another question might be with a non-business email (I use Gmail) - again, not that I have anything to hide there - can my company look at my Gmail account - especially if I open it while on campus - on a campus provided laptop?  It might be an interesting case, but I'm guessing my employer has the right to do that as well!!!

No comments: