Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, August 24, 2011

A Change at Apple

Steve Jobs just announced (6:52 EDT - August 24th) that he is stepping down as CEO of Apple:

I have grown up as a PC / Dell / IBM / person. I somewhat reluctantly went to the iPod for a music device a few years back. There are others on the market, but the iPod "IS" the definitive portable music player currently. (I go back to the Sony "Walkman" days of playing cassette music tapes on a portable device). The campus got me an iPad two years ago (and I have experimented with it - more in class); and yesterday I got a new iPad2 to experiment with. I want to write some simple applications - just to see if I can do it. (Ah, I digress from Steve Jobs). I also have a hand-me-down iPhone (without the phone service, so mostly an iTouch)

While I am NOT an Apple guy, Steve Jobs and the Apple people have been great developers, great marketers, and innovative. There has been a philosophy and approach that has been tremendous. (I remember reading an article a few months back about psychologists testing Apple people and their thoughts about Apple bordered on a religious experience).

I hope that his successor (Tim Cook in the article) and the company continue to be "Apple" in its best fashion - innovating, developing and marketing great products (that in turn cause the competitors to innovate and develop their competing products.)

2 comments:

Kim Framski said...

I'm curious Professor, do you think that Cook will have that same showman flair at unveling new products that Jobs had? Jobs was a master at mystery and creating excitement over the next new product which did wonders for sales. I shall wait and see if Cook can keep that going. Kim

Karen's Blog said...

Jobs did have showmanship. Cook may or may not have it. They might coach him, or maybe they will get a Vice President for Excitement to do it!!! :-)